10 Top Tips for Perfect Hand Hygiene & Care
Posted on March 30 2020
Over the past few weeks we've been working hard on developing a hand sanitiser. Realising that we had all the required ingredients at our finger tips, as it were.
Our new Essential Hand Sanitiser has a 70% alcohol base, glycerin to soften the hands and, a special blend of five deliciously fragrant essential oils including naturally antibacterial ones : lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, lemongrass and Sicilian lemon.
Additionally our Essential Hand Cream, a trusted and much loved cult product also contains naturally antibacterial essential oils. It soothes and nourishes dry and cracked skin, and we have re packaged it in a practical and lightweight pot at a more accessible price.
10 TOP TIPS FOR PERFECT HAND HYGIENE
- Regular handwashing is one of the most effective means of prevention with health experts recommending that people wash their hands thoroughly for 20 seconds and rinse for 10 seconds at a time to curb the spread of germs. Make sure to rub your fingertips, between your fingers, the backs of your hands and under your nails.
- Transform this simple and necessary gesture into a luxurious treat. Using a nice fragranced hand wash will elevate this daily routine and make it an enjoyable moment. See it as a mini break, a moment to breathe deeply and find some calm.
- Avoid using water that’s too hot, it could damage the skin if your hands are already irritated.
- If you’re on the go and can’t wash your hands, using a hand sanitiser is the next best thing. Use enough product to cover the entire hands. It’s important that it contains at least 60% alcohol to be effective. Our Essential Hand Sanitiser contains 70% alcohol and glycerine to soften the hands.
- Repeated cleansing and the use of alcohol-based sanitiser is not without taking its toll on your skin, the natural protective barrier might be depleted, and your hands can be left feeling dry, irritated or even cracked. Maintaining a healthy barrier is essential to prevent any infection so it’s important to use a good quality gentle handwash. Handwashes don’t necessarily need to be antibacterial if you’re using them correctly for the recommended 20 seconds.
- Pat your hands dry with a towel instead of rubbing them to avoid any irritation.
- Wash and replace your hand towels regularly to avoid any cross-contamination if they’re used by different people.
- Get into the habit of moisturising after washing to lock in the water. Invest in a good quality repairing hand cream such as our Essential Hand Cream. It’s best not to share your personal hand cream pot to avoid spreading germs.
- You can also use your hand cream as a mask by applying a generous layer and wear cotton gloves just before going to bed. You’ll wake up with softer hands in the morning.
- As our hands are more fragile, it also makes sense to use rubber gloves when washing dishes or using harsh household cleaning products if you have sensitive skin.